Scientific name: Pelargonium Graveolens Roseum. There are over 700 different varieties of Geranium. The Roseum on the end of the scientific name means the Geranium we are talking about here is a Rose Geranium. It actually smells kind of like a rose. It is oftentimes used to dilute a rose essential oil. The oil is steam distilled from the leaves, stalk, and flowers of the rose geranium plant. The Dutch sailors carried the plant with them and it quickly flourished practically wherever it went. This is a very adaptable plant, the Europeans grew to love it for its fragrance and its adaptability-it would flourish in almost any climate. Folklore dictated that the plant would keep away evil spirits, that's why you see it planted near doorways and windows. Geranium oil is said to suture both the mental and the physical, meaning it will help wounds that are emotional or physical close and heal.
1. The primary constituent is geraniol, which builds collagen fibers (the protein that is the main building block of bone, cartilage, tendon, and other connective tissues) in the tissues. This means that it creates a regenerative action in these parts of the body, especially the skin. When you apply Geranium essential oil to a wound it will help stop the bleeding and give the skin what it needs to repair itself. Apply the oil to a cut, use a butterfly bandage to pull the edges together, and it is almost as good as stitches in a day or two. Please note that it is not a magic wand, if you are bleeding heavily, have cut an artery or something else that requires immediate surgical attention, please visit the emergency room, but using Geranium along the way will help minimize damage and soothe your emotions.
2. Excellent for skin. Any kind of skin challenge, eczema, acne, rashes, wounds, bruises, ulcers, herpes, and more. It even helps the skin appear more radiant and youthful! Apply a drop directly to an area of concern, dilute in a carrier oil for larger areas, or simply add 5-6 drops to a two ounce spray bottle filled with water, shake well before each application, and use as a body spray or (making sure the eyes are closed) to spray on the face.
3. A diuretic, it helps reduce water retention and edema (swollen ankles and legs). Apply to the legs or use 3-4 drops in a teaspoon of carrier oil and rub from the feet up to the knees. Always rub towards the heart, never away.
4. Improves immune function by balancing the hormones, the emotions, opening the circulatory system, and assisting the lymphatic system. Additionally, it helps reduce stress and stress reduces the immune system.
5. Balances hormones by opening up the circulatory system and allowing the hormones to be carried to where they need to be.
6. Great for female problems-PMS, swollen breasts, cramps, heavy or missing periods, etc. It even helps normalize the fluctuating hormones experienced during menopause! Apply to the ankles, the inner thighs, the soft upper arms, or even the breasts. If you are experiencing menstrual cramps apply on location. If you are experiencing heavy menstrual bleeding, apply to the abdominal area. You may initially experience a brief time of heavier flow, but then it should diminish to a more normal level of bleeding.
7. Marvelous for the emotions. Inhaling Geranium will ease anxiety, reduce tension, and serve as an antidepressant. It helps you release negative and depressing thoughts. In fact, if you are feeling suicidal or working with someone who feels suicidal, have them smell the oil and put a drop on their sternum, it can eliminate those suicidal feelings!
8. A great smelling insect repellant. Note it can attract bees; if you are allergic to bee stings use a different essential oil as an insect repellant just to be on the safe side.
9. Marvelous for use after surgery, especial plastic surgery, because it not only disinfects the area, but helps the skin and tissues underneath heal without scarring. It is also a great anti-inflammatory.
10. Great for hemorrhoids. Simply apply to the affected area several times a day and the swelling will go down and the pain will disappear.
*Only use essential oils internally that are truly 100% pure, such as Be Young oils. Oils that are cut or synthetic can have dangerous side effects if used internally. Always error on the side of caution and use common sense.
Penny Swann has been working with essential oils and herbs for over 10 years. She writes a weekly article for their newsletter subscribers. She and her mother, Debby, work as health coaches, helping people improve their lives daily in a natural way. Visit their website at http://www.tracesetc.com/ to learn more about improving your health naturally.